Saturday, April 26, 2008

Time for my two cents...

Recently, I was reading through another blog out here in cyberspace, and tripped across a conversation about Oprah. Her influence on the world, her claims about faith and Jesus in particular.

I threw my thoughts into the discussion, and thought I would share them with all 3 of you who actually read this blog...

----------------------

scottie said...
Obviously none of you have read the book. If you had, you would realize that your comments are from your ego (read "the flesh") and you are not present and living in the now. It can be a beautiful thing and it's exactly what Jesus asked of us. Perhaps you should read before you assume it's "crap" - I assure you, you will be truly enlightened and the resonance of Jesus is throughout.

Benjamin - The Sower said...
scottie:

While I would not use the word "crap" to describe the book in question, I would go as far as to say that the book is no more useful than The Secret which Oprah also lent her name to in order to bolster the gross sale success...

The bottom line is this, she is saying that this book holds the answers to all the questions the Bible fails to answer... And the Bible makes the exact opposite claim when it says of itself that it is sufficient for everything we might need in order to do every good work...

I am, of course, paraphrasing, however, you can see for yourself, in 2 Timothy, Chapter 3.  My reference is at the end of the chapter, but the part of the Bible that refers to Oprah is the first half of that same chapter...

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Oprah, in fact, I pity her... She misunderstood a very simple passage of the Bible at a relatively young age, and has allowed that misunderstanding to corrupt the rest of her life it seems. I pray for her salvation, as I do for anyone who thinks that they themselves are divine and basically good without the need of forgiveness... Anyone who thinks that there is more than one way to get into heaven - needs a lot of prayer...

-Benjamin

(post script - As long as her message runs contrary to clear Biblical Teaching and Doctrine, those who follow her, should be warned using the Word of God, not another NYT Best Seller...)

No comments: